Writer/director Nia DaCosta’s Candyman released in theaters August 2021 and is now available for streaming ahead of its physical release on November 16th. Thanks to the generosity of Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, EoM is giving away two (2) digital codes for DaCosta’s Candyman, the spiritual sequel to the Bernard Rose’s 1992 Tony Todd-starring supernatural horror classic. Want one for yourself? Fill out the form to enter for your chance to win.
Giveaway runs until Friday, November 5th, at 11:59 PM EDT.
Don’t say his name.
In 2021, Oscar® winner Jordan Peele unleashes a fresh take on the blood-chilling urban legend that your friend’s older sibling probably told you about at a sleepover: “Candyman”. Rising filmmaker Nia DaCosta (“Little Woods”) directs this contemporary incarnation of the cult classic. For as long as residents can remember, the housing projects of Chicago’s Cabrini Green neighborhood were terrorized by a word-of-mouth ghost story about a supernatural killer with a hook for a hand, easily summoned by those daring to repeat his name five times into a mirror. In present day, a decade after the last of the Cabrini towers were torn down, visual artist Anthony McCoy (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II; HBO’s “Watchmen”, “Us”) and his girlfriend, gallery director Brianna Cartwright (Teyonah Parris; “If Beale Street Could Talk”, “The Photograph”), move into a luxury loft condo in Cabrini, now gentrified beyond recognition and inhabited by upwardly mobile millennials.
With Anthony’s painting career on the brink of stalling, a chance encounter with a Cabrini Green old-timer (Colman Domingo; HBO’s “Euphoria”, “Assassination Nation”) exposes Anthony to the tragically horrific nature of the true story behind Candyman. Anxious to maintain his status in the Chicago art world, Anthony begins to explore these macabre details in his studio as fresh grist for paintings, unknowingly opening a door to a complex past that unravels his own sanity and unleashes a terrifyingly viral wave of violence that puts him on a collision course with destiny.
Available on digital November 2nd, 2021.
Available on 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD November 16th, 2021.
Candyman Special Features
- ALTERNATE ENDING
- DELETED AND EXTENDED SCENES
- SAY MY NAME: Filmmakers and cast discuss how the horror at the center of Candyman is both timely and timeless, which is a tragedy in and of itself.
- BODY HORROR: We explore director Nia DaCosta’s influences in the subgenre of body horror, and what Anthony’s physical transformation means to the story.
- THE FILMMAKER’S EYE: NIA DACOSTA: Take a closer look at director Nia DaCosta, and how her singular voice and perspective were perfect to tell this story.
- PAINTING CHAOS: Filmmakers reveal how Anthony’s artwork evolves throughout the film and how they strived for authenticity in recreating Chicago’s vibrant art scene.
- THE ART OF ROBERT AIKI AUBREY LOWE: Composer Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe reveals some of the unconventional methodology he used to create the unique and haunting soundscapes sounds of the film.
- TERROR IN THE SHADOWS: A behind-the-scenes look at how the analogue shadow puppetry scenes were created and an unpacking of why this ancient artistic medium was the most conceptually relevant for depicting the legends’ cycle of violence.
- CANDYMAN: THE IMPACT OF BLACK HORROR: A roundtable discussion moderated by Colman Domingo about the nuanced relationship Black Americans have with Candyman, the horror genre and the overall idea of monsters and victims.
For more information, head to the official Candyman website.
Rules of the Contest
- To enter – fill out the contest form below and submit before Friday, November 5th at 11:59 PM EDT. Only one entry per person.
- Entrants must be 18 years old or older to win.
- Winners will be notified via email after the close of the contest.
- Two (2) selected winner will be awarded with one (1) digital code for Candyman.
- Participants understand that the digital code is not the responsibility of Elements of Madness.
- The winner is solely responsible for receipt of the digital code once it is sent to the winner and not to share it with others or misuse it and deprive others from redeeming their prize.
- Winners must live in the contiguous United States. Elements of Madness does not ship internationally.
- The winner will have two (2) weeks to claim their prize or it will be forfeited and given to another entrant.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash or other items.
- Prize cannot be swapped or traded for anything else.
- EoM not responsible for prizes lost to the Spam filter.
- Current members of EoM staff or their immediate families are not eligible to participate.
The contest is now closed. The winners will be contacted.